Victimization leaves lasting marks which are not generally addressed in therapeutic settings but which, if not addressed, can affect the quality of life for survivors of abuse. The RECOVERY Program is a group program conducted in schools, therapeutic settings and community organizations for children, ages 6-18 and adults who have been previously victimized. Over a period of ten to twenty sessions, the RECOVERY Program is designed to build or rebuild essential life skills which are needed to recovery fully from victimization and to minimize the probability that it will recur.
During the Program, participants in the group learn, with and from the other participants, that:
- abuse shouldn’t have happened to them
- they can actively work to prevent it in the future
- the effects the abuse has on their lives is shaped by choices they make every day
They will learn:
- to prevent future abuse
- to build positive self-concept
- to rebuild self-esteem which is so essential to the development of an individual’s full potential
Participants ages 6 through adulthood are taught effective and positive skills which can help reduce the risk of further abuse, including:
- prevention strategies
- effective communication
- appropriate assertiveness
- stress management
They develop better self-concepts and higher self-esteem by practicing these techniques every day.
For more information or to order the RECOVERY Program please email RECOVERY@SafeChild.org